Wednesday, July 4, 2012

What Would Andy Do?

In my life as a child, long before WWJD, (What would Jesus Do?) was WWAD. He always kept the Barney Fife's of the world in line without beating them up as bad people. He added such a balanced sense of love and justice to his world. How much better off would we all be if we had been treated like Andy treated those in his town. The world needs laws, but we really need them enforced with the love of a Sheriff who let's the town drunk sleep in the jail cell by leaving the key within reaching distance, and who, as a single father, cared nothing more than to love his son by teaching him life lessons and always listening with awe to every single one of Opie's stories. There's nothing like a real man when you see it, and for me, even though Andy was just a character written into a script, he gave me as a child my first real sense of how to be in a world full of characters like the ones in Mayberry. I really just wanna go to Mayberry when I die, not heaven. It was so much more than just a TV show because we made it so much more. To see what TV has become is as sad as the death of one of its great artist. Goodbye Sheriff Taylor.

1 comment: