Friday, August 24, 2012

NOT taking the "Silence Pledge"

A kind well-meaning musician friend of mine sent me this. Others have sent me similar notions on Facebook

TAKE THE PLEDGE - Everyone has opinions about their ideology. Everyone has deeply held beliefs.
But I pledge I will not clutter, inflame, nor waste bandwidth with political opinions that might cost me friendships until November 7th, 2012. So Sayeth I. I would rather hear about the wacky thing you churren or your cat or your dog or even your ferret did.
So Sayeth, I.


My response..

Hey man. My friends love me. My mild acquaintances can go if they will. Too much is at stake for me to remain totally silent on what is going on in our culture. Silence is the soil in which most of the world's greatest injustices have grown. I would rather be judged than be silent. Looking at my kids' future makes a difference in my attitude. Barack Obama does not scare me, Mitt Romney does. 

Love you man.

His response back.. "Love you Brother"


This is the way it should be. If you lose friends over politics, they're not real friends. All sides of the political spectrum need to stay engaged in this debate. This debate is what WE have as citizens, this is OUR part, and for US to exit the debate and abandon our mind to avoid mild conflict is not intelligent. I will respect any opinion when it's handled by the hands of a civilized person. I don't attack people personally, but I do, and will, continue to engage in policy debate because of policy's undeniable interconnectedness with life, our culture, the future of our country, and the natural world. I post plenty of non-political life-affirming things about my life, music, and my family. I think I'm more balanced than in the past, but to be silent on what's at stake in November would be dishonest of me. I have many who disagree with me, many ultraconservatives in my "friends" list, and even some Christian conservatives who pray every day for my hell-bound soul. ;-) I know that, and they know that I know that. However, we are still friends, and we continue in our ventures in life together. We should all have more tolerance for each other.

I can lay back, but I won't lay off, neither should you, no matter what your opinion may be. Humor helps, and so does the realization that we are all just trying to figure things out in the best way that we know how. Now that may just sound like a bunch of wimpish liberal baby food to those of you out there collecting guns for the coming Obama take-over revolution, but I mean it with all my heart. ;-) Peace is possible if we think it is.

1 comment:

  1. well put. " Peace is possible if we think it is." it seems that what ever the vast majority agree to, good or bad, is usually what happens. if enough people say we're going to war, we usually go to war. i hope there's enough of us that still believe that things are not nearly as bad as they could be. i really don't want citizens united to buy this election or a bunch of crazed bible thumpers to decide my future. pay attention people. dig up the facts.

    ReplyDelete