Sunday, March 18, 2012

R.I.P. Carl Brown






This was posted by one of my friends on Facebook, teacher Carl Brown, on a thread concerning education and the value of teachers.



"I consider the most important part of my job to be helping kids learn how to think and how to learn. The best discussions we have involve me not answering any questions, but rather, guiding the discussion so it doesn't stray too far from the issue at hand. Recalling facts isn't required of me if they have to defend their thoughts and opinions by recalling facts from what has been read. I am fortunate in that I work with small groups of very bright students that soon learn to expect higher level thinking questions from me."  Carl Brown





My notes a year later prior to his death and on the day of his death..


3/9/12 - Above was my first exchange with Carl Brown on FB. Though he and Jane have heard my music for years, I technically didn't know them until recently. I wrote this "note" as a result of his quote that came about during the teachers union debates in Wisconsin. Now Carl is dying of a very aggressive brain tumor. I rededicate this note to him and Jane Mauldin and for the wonderful way that he used his mind to help so many children for so long. I have no words to explain the way this quick and sad illness has made me feel about so many things in my own life. Music is what i know and what I do in life. It is what I go to. I wish for a peaceful and pain free transition for this wonderful man Carl Brown, and peace of mind to his wife Jane of many years.


3/18/12 - Carl died this morning.. R.I.P. I will miss posting with Carl. I have no words to express the sadness. I will say that he was a special man, especially to this man who is typically not a "man fan". He had an intelligence and inner spirit that was very unique. Jane will have all of our love as she wakes up to this loss and deals with life without him. May we all surround her, pray, think, or say the things that remind her of how much she is loved. It may seem silly to say, but I am grateful to FB for facilitating these connections in a way that would have never been possible even 5 years ago. My "lost banjo" showing up in their town, and my visit to them, made our connection possible and special. It's important because of what Facebook helps facilitate in our lives that is uniquely human. I always say.. for whatever we think we have lost in privacy, we have gained so much in connection; living life more together than apart, realizing that we have more to be thankful for than to argue over, more to celebrate than to dread, and more to hope for than to fear. Bye Carl Brown. 




Wilson Funeral Home, Inc.

Carl Everett BrownCarl Everett Brown
(July 23, 1956 - March 18, 2012)

Carl E. Brown, 55, of Fort Payne passed away on Sunday, March 18, 2012 at his home.Carl was born in Boston, MA in 1956 to parents Norman and Joyce Brown. He was a twin. Carl graduated from Merrimack High School in Merrimack, NH and from Jacksonville University with a BA degree in Education. He later earned a Masters degree in Elementary Education and School Principalship.
Carl started his work career doing an assortment of jobs including archaeology before becoming an elementary school teacher. He taught third grade in Menlo, GA for a few years prior to coming to the Fort Payne City School System. He recently retired after teaching fourth grade at Williams Avenue School for many years and spent the last 6 years of his career teaching gifted children. He loved his job and was passionate about making a difference in the lives of his students. He was also very active with the SCPA and the Humane Society, serving as president.
Carl is survived by his wife Jane Mauldin, mother Joyce Purinton, brothers Danny, Gary, Scott, and Eric, sister Linda, brother-in-law and sister-in-law Tom and Teresa Mauldin, special nieces Katie, Anna, and Sarah Mauldin, as well as many other nieces and nephews. Carl will also be greatly missed by his special animal companions, Lupi, Stella, Mandy, Wilson, and Aiko.
A memorial visitation will be Wednesday from 4 until 6 p.m. at Wilson Funeral Home. In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorial contributions be made to the Humane Society, P.O. Box 680653, Fort Payne, AL 35968.
Wilson Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements, online guestbook, www.wilsonfhinc.com




These are my first conversations with Carl. What a wonderful man. I post these to remind us all of the fragility of life and to once again say that social networking is only as good as we are. We are blessed to be able to talk to each other. The last two entries are sad and are about a year later. today was his funeral. 3/21/12


  • December 29, 2010
    Carl Brown
    • David Brooks
      Check out David Brooks' thought provoking article, "The Arduous Community".

  • December 29, 2010
    Jeff Mosier
    • I will check it out. Thanks Carl.

  • March 5, 2011
    Jeff Mosier
    • do you mind if i repost that note on education ? great

  • March 5, 2011
    Carl Brown
    • Not at all. I'm flattered that you ask. Especially since a week ago I had a stroke and a few seizures and now have a 15mm piece of dead gray matter, or should I say, jelly fish

  • March 5, 2011
    Jeff Mosier
    • Call me if you can 4046265973. So sorry to hear that.

  • March 5, 2011
    Carl Brown
    • Jane thought you might remember me better if I pointed out that we are friends of Chad and Pam and were at the house concert at Christmas when you played with Joe Craven.
      I enjoyed talking with you tonight. I hope we get to go to Spring Fest this year. I'm not supposed to drive and that colors everything since we usually pull a small camper and Jane doesn't feel comfortable with the long highway drive towing. If we're there I look forward to reconnecting with both you and joe

  • March 5, 2011
    Jeff Mosier
    • I do remember. Thanks. I enjoyed talking with you. Take care.

  • April 25, 2011
    Carl Brown
    • Wall Photos
      ISURE YOU CAN RELATE. i love his cartoons

    • My hell would be a roomful of blues harmonicas.


  • June 8, 2011
    Jeff Mosier
    • How are you Carl and how is it going. Been traveling a lot, but have been thinking about you and hoping all is well. Talk soon.

  • June 8, 2011
    Carl Brown
    • i have followed in your travels and wish i could have caught some shows. Had we stayed in B'ham we would have started therapies 3 weeks ago, but it would have been a terrible hardship on Jane to have to live in hospital housing for 6 weeks and she doesn't get much of a break now. I'm not sleeping much, but still have plenty of energy to do household chores like mowing and cooking. I'm gladto be getting a lot of reading done. Some novels and alternative therapies like visualization for change and focused enregy and detox through Pascalite clay twice a day. I'm 
      getting tired of all the meds and worry about polluting myself


      • February 11
        • hey, I am going to need a preacher for a funeral! You available? I will be donating my body to UAB hospital THey'll cremate mewhen they're done with me so Jane can scatter my ashes inFt. Payne area

      • February 11
        Jeff Mosier
        • I will be ther.
        • There

      • February 12
        Carl Brown
        • Thanx,much brother!

          R.I.P Carl Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment